We held our Annual General Meeting, on Sunday, December 9th at The Merchant. There were 18 members in attendance. Thank you to the Dragon Boat Club for providing the great appetizers & drinks.
We passed a basket & collected $186 to donate to The Salvation Army Christmas Hamper Campaign. The club matched it dollar for dollar for a total Dragon Boat Club donation of $372. This will help to pay for 3-4 hampers of food at Christmas for those in need. Thank you to Ute Wilkinson, Christmas Hamper Assistant and Dragon Boat Club member for organizing this fundraising effort.YEAR IN REVIEW
- MEMBERSHIP fees this year were $60 with an additional cost to purchase a team t-shirt if you were registered to participate in a festival race. Festival race fees were $30 per member for each race entered. We had 56 people register with our club this season as regular members. In general, we were able to load 2, sometimes 3 boats at practices, twice a week. 45 people paid membership through the Paypal option on the club website, the rest paid in person.
- Find the Dragon Head Contest - We gave 3 free memberships to contest winners in our Find the Dragon Head Contest. Thank you to Graham & Sylvia, Carolyn, Colin, Ed & Kerry for putting the contest together. Congratulations to Barb, Olivia & Krista who won their membership for the season.
- Club Logo & Team Swag - George designed a new club logo this year. We connected with the Awesome & Beyond Shoppe in the Frontenac Mall for printing. Thank you to Barb, store partner, for the press run of team clothing.
- Brighton Dragon Boat Festival - On June 23, we headed to Brighton, only to be turned around, as it had been cancelled due to high waves & unsafe waters. All member registrations were refunded.
- Canada Day Fireworks - On July 1, we met at the club docks at dusk & paddled 2 boats, with members, family & friends, to Confederation Basin to watch the Kingston Canada Day fireworks from the shoreline, in the boats, it was a really cool viewpoint and being part of many boats on the water to watch the show
- Trenton Dragon Boat Festival - On July 21, we participated in the Trenton Dragon Boat Festival, this was a great day paddling into the waves - we got soaked! We placed well & won 1st Place in B Division Finals
- Wellington Dragon Boat Festival - took place on August 11. Another hot day, but the water was calm. We worked really hard & won 1st Place as Festival Champions
- Huckleberry Island Paddle - took place on August 19. We met at the docks near Treasure Island on the St Lawrence River & paddled to Huckleberry Island, the cottage of George & Giselle. It was a great paddle & we waved to tourists as we passed by. We enjoyed a shared potluck lunch, swimming, & playing on water toys. This is a very picturesque paddle & a great place to visit ~ thank you to George & Giselle. Check out Terry's video on the Facebook page, to view our paddle to Huckleberry Island
- Kingston Mills Paddle & Picnic - was held September 9, a colder fall day, we paddled to Kingston Mills Lock for a picnic lunch. There were no boats in the locks but the lockmasters we great opening/closing the locks for us to pass through.
- Cross Fit - a fall cross fit program ran from October to December with a 1x or 2x per week option. The program was at Focus Fitness Training at the Woolen Mill. There were 10-15 participants in the fall program. Thank you to Terry for organizing this program. Watch for details for an upcoming spring pre-season program.
- Ice Dragon Boat Festival - takes place on Saturday, February 9 on Dows Lake in Ottawa. Registration is now open on our website. Cost is $45. We have only 10 paddlers registered at this time. We need 1 drummer, 1 paddler, and 4 alternates still to enter.
We invite you to check out our Facebook page in the closed group Kingston Dragon Boat Members, just ask to join the group and an admin can approve your request.
Thank you to those who served on our Board for the KDBC this 2017/2018 season: George Mainguy, President; Kerry Peterson, Secretary; Jody Duffy, Treasurer; Ed Peterson, Webmaster
Welcome, & a huge Thank You to those who have accepted roles on this year's KDBC Board of Directors: Mike Stacey, Treasurer; Ute Wilkinson, Secretary. Ed Peterson will stay on as Webmaster. Kerry Peterson will provide input and training as Past Secretary. George Mainguy has expressed his desire to step down as President but will be there to support a new President when elected.